Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Making money with shorts

  1. #1
    Inactive Member emjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    747
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello. I was wondering, is there any money to be made with making short movies?

    Say, 5 to 15 minutes? I mean, I don't think there's a real market for them, perhaps the occasional short movie gets shown on a government-funded TV channel, but that's about it.

    And the last time we had previews in the cinema was about 10 years ago.

    (So we could be starting an internet petition world wide demanding we want the previews back. Just for money's sake, of course.)

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was wondering, is there any money to be made with making short movies?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only shorts that make good money are adverts.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very rare to make any money from a short... it's advisable not to go into making a short thinking you'll come out with a profit.

    There are markets in other countries for shorts, but not in the UK- where a short is basically a calling card into the industry for the creative talent involved.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree.

    Shorts are a great way to build a reel. To show what you can do. They are not a way to pay bills. I have gotten some decent recognition for some shorts. Which have led to bigger things.

    If I were you and you have a great short script in your hands make it. Use it for what it is--High Production Value is high production value. If you can show people you are capable of that then you are off to the races.

    Good Luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •